Are you wondering what causes belly fat to accumulate to expand your waistline? You cannot do anything about the fat stored around your belly until you fully understand what is causing your body to store fat in that area of the body.
Excess fat in the belly typically hints that you have excess fat stored in your arms, legs, and other areas of the body as well.
stores. Which of these behaviors apply to your lifestyle?
1. You consume more calories than your body needs to sustain bodily functions and your activity level. The excess calories are stored for later use, but more than likely they will never be used unless you intentionally make lifestyle changes to lose fat.
2. You consume too many refined carbohydrates, starches, and sugary foods. Studies have shown that these foods are stored as fat more readily than whole grains, fresh fruits, vegetables, and lean protein sources. They also have little to no nutritional value for your body.
3. You consume carbohydrates, starches, and sugary foods too close to bedtime. Your body depends on carbohydrates for energy, but you do not use a lot of energy during the most inactive parts of your day. Consuming carbohydrates when you are lying on the couch or going to bed is a surefire way to increase stored fat in your stomach and elsewhere.
4. You live a high-stress lifestyle. Stress stimulates the release of cortisol. Cortisol is a hormone known to increase your appetite. Some studies have shown a direct link between high levels of continuous stress and increased belly fat.
5. You do not exercise at least three or four times a week. Going out for a half-hour walk can do wonders for your waistline and your overall health, but a sedentary lifestyle is what causes belly fat and is downright tragic for your waistline and your overall health.
Now that you have identified the fact that some lifestyle choices and behaviors are what causes belly fat storage, what can you do to stop gaining belly fat and start the process of burning it off for good? There actually are some rather simple ways to destroy stored body fat and stop it from coming back in the future, but you will have to commit fully to changing the lifestyle behaviors that contribute to the gain of belly fat.
Following are some ways to start burning your belly fat immediately:
1. Write down everything you eat and the time each item is consumed for at least one week. Look for patterns in the type of foods you consume and when you consume them. Try to consume whole carbohydrates rather than refined carbohydrates, and consume them before the most active part of your day.
2. Make sure you are drinking adequate amounts of water. Try drinking a glass of water just before consuming a meal or when you have the urge to snack. It can help with satiety between meals.
3. Do not drink your calories. The fastest way to consume too many calories is to drink sodas, juices, and alcoholic beverages that are high in calories.
4. Take steps to control stress in your daily life. If what causes belly fat in your life is too much stress, then learn to say no to obligations that may stress you out, and spend more time doing things that you find enjoyable. Focus on happiness and spend more time with people who make you laugh, and the belly fat may have a harder time sticking around your gut.
5. Make exercise a part of your weekly schedule, and work toward a more active lifestyle. The more you move your body, the easier it will be to reduce belly fat. Simple actions can contribute to a belly fat-free lifestyle, such as walking around the office five minutes for every hour you spend sitting at your desk. Get up a half hour early and walk the dog each morning, or find a fun Zumba class in your local community. Workout while watching television if you have no other way to squeeze activity into your day.
Take it from me, it is worth the effort.
The fight against belly fat is all about giving your body the food it needs when it needs it and moving your body as much as possible. Add in some much-needed laughter and reduced daily stress, and you have a formula for fat attack that tackles the root causes of belly fat.
That means you will be one step closer to a smaller and healthier waistline.